Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Its fashionable to beg on Street

This week I was introduced to Geetanjali Nagpal.
Lets rephrase this sentence, believing there are lot of people like me who did not knew Geetanjali Nagpal.

This week we were introduced to Geetanjali Nagpal by the media as a model found asking money on the Street. We were told that she had walked the ramp with the likes of Sushmita Sen. She had also studied fashion designing at an upward fashion institute at Delhi. Well impressive!!! Isnt it. And then there were her photographs also. "I personally was more impressed with her photograph and this led me to read the complete article."

The chain of events that followed later were rather very interesting. She was taken in a cab, she demanded to be taken to a psychological clinic, some NGOs stepped in to help her, her photos were splashed across newspapers and television, and then all of us knew her.

As if she was the first beggar in India to be recovered from street. There are still hundreds, thousands or i dont know may be millions of people still living maybe even more miserable life on the streets. A recent survey showed there are still 836 million people living in India earning less than Rs. 20 a day. Well that should be roughly around 80% of total population of India. A sizeable chunk of them would still be living on streets, railway stations, picking up rug. Then, why is one person getting such extra ordinary treatment. Will not these 836 million people feel biased? OK, I am not aware of the circumstances she had been, and please I do not mean any offense to her. But as far as I feel, a lady educated at Lady Shri Ram College of Commerce, certainly does not need to beg to earn her living and drugs. I am sorry I should not use the word "beg" as I read about her that she did not used to beg for money but rather "ask" for money. Interesting, isn't it.

Well, the other people living on the Streets, you could have also asked for money, instead of beg for money, had you studied at some upward college, walked the ramp, had a CV as boastful as Gitanjali Nagpal. I feel sorry for you.

No comments: